The Eternal Power of Music

Written by Anastasya Dwi Tantya

"Music is an art form whose medium is sound and silence. Its common elements are pitch(which governs melody and harmony), rhythm(and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture." 

I copied that first paragraph from wikipedia because I find it hard to describe what music is to me.

From time to time music has became a part of human lives, to me it holds a big part. Music is something really magical, it connects people in so many ways. Music makes people understands better, music makes people feel. The easiest example today if you hear the song We Will Not Go Down, I guarantee you'd put yourself in a place where you can imagine what it's like being in Gaza. 

For me music works at it best when there's a melody and a lyric but that is just for me. 

Music is a big part of a culture, sometimes music change the culture. I will take one example from one of my favourite musicians, The Beatles.

Talking about music that shape the culture, The Beatles definitely holds a spot on that category. Four boys from Liverpool that became the definition of phenomenal. I always love their music and so does millions of other people in the planet. They started with catchy rock n' roll songs and then they touched our heart with the heartfelt humanity themed songs. 

I know that music can't stop a missile from exploding or stop bombs from falling, but I believe in unity through music. Because I saw what music can do to people, it gave them hope and sense of togetherness. I take The Beatles as an example because they prove it to be true, that music is the universal language, the one that everyone understands. Because when The Beatles went on stage, people stop and stare. When The Beatles songs played on the radio, people listens. The Beatles has made a big change in this world through their music. 

When McCartney wrote the song Michele, he always felt like he missed something. Then McCartney asked Lennon and Lennon added the verse "I love you, I love you, I love you". From that moment on the world knows Michele as one of their big hits. "I love you" sung three times and it changed the entire song. Imagine what can happen if that same spirit is being said all over the world. Music makes us understands that even the smallest thing matters 
and changes only start from the small things that adds up into bigger things.

No matter where you stand in the world, no matter what language you speak, no matter what colour your skin is, I hope music can make us better, heal us and unite us. I'm quoting a verse from Lennon's hit "imagine all the people living life in peace", certainly that is not a bad view :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment