Strangely Unique Food (South East Asia edition)

Written by: Grace Debora C.O. (016201200028)

Previously, we have covered several food that some of us will find weird to be eaten in the East Asia region. Now, we move on to the region where I live, South East Asia! Without further ado, here is the list which I compiled from people’s experiences.

1. Durian

This is known as the king of fruit and has a very strong smell with spiky fruit skin, but the taste is sweet with a soft texture. I personally do not like durian (I can only tolerate Bangkok durian). But, most people like it for its distinct taste.

2. Insects

This is the specialty ingredients of Thailand and Cambodia. You can find all kinds of insects being made into street snack in Bangkok, and spiders like tarantula fried as snacks in Cambodia. You might  find these disgusting, but I have personally tasted it in Bangkok, and it actually tastes good like crunchy snacks if you get past the disgust and the shape of the insect itself. Worth trying.

Bugs on in Bangkok

3. Fried Bat

This one is another unique food from south east Asia, and you can find it almost in all regions. I personally never try it firsthand. But, I heard that if cooked correctly the bad smell of the original bat would be removed. Someday, I’ll make sure I try this one.

Fried bat

4. Kopi Luwak

This one is the specialty of Indonesia, my home country. This types of coffee has gained popularity abroad and the price is quite expensive. What makes it unique then? It is called luwak because it is made out of an animal called luwak or civer cat in English, particularly its feces. The breeder feeds these animals with coffee berries, and processes the undigested coffee berries out of the feces. Imagine that!

5. Balut

This one has a fertilized duck egg as the main ingredient. It is usually grilled or boiled and a Filipino street delicacy.

Balut in all its glory

0 comments:

Post a Comment